Meiners Tavern has been located opposite the St. Clement Church reportedly since 1847. There may have been an earlier cabin that served as a stopping place for refreshment along the Pike even from the time prior to recorded history. This road had been an animal and Native American pathway, and was a natural location en route to travelers north to Carthage and beyond, or south to Clifton and Cincinnati.
The Meiners’ homestead was demolished when Martin Street was added from the Pike (Vine Street) to Lawrence Street.
Veneita (Meiners) Throenle and her sister Betty (Meiners) Haverland were partners for many years following the death of their father Harry Meiners. Over the years there were other managers of the establishment, including Tom Morton. Members of the Holden family have continued to keep the Meiners’ traditions going. Changes and modernization have helped keep this landmark up and running. You can enjoy al fresco dining on the deck outside in addition to the traditional fare. Today, known as St. Bernard Pub, the business is owned by Sharon (Holden) Hoell and Mike Hoell. With their son as chef, keeping the tradition of good food and beverages, the former Meiners is still an important local business in 2017.
Marjorie Niesen, historian
Members of the Meiners family had owned this property for over ninety years. At one time this was a “mom and pop” business-two doors face the street-the left door provided entry to the grocery store operated by Mrs. Meiners, while the saloon operated by Mr. Meiners was on the right. In the days before refrigeration, a meat box was kept at the business which utilized a 100 lb. block of ice to maintain cold temperature. A special feature of a summer garden was adjacent to the building that patrons and families enjoyed. A restaurant was included throughout many years, and often on weekends families became regular patrons, especially enjoying jack salmon prepared with Meiners’ special recipe.
Many clubs and organizations had their start at Meiners. Included was the Meiners’ Eagles baseball team that played in a field just west of the Meiners home, behind the saloon, in what was known as “Meiners’ Ditch”. For many years this was the Pinochle headquarters for card players as well as the R&L (Right & Left) Club.
Source: Fifty Years of Progress 1878 St. Bernard 1928, p.56; Niesen, Marjorie N., Images of America St. Bernard, p.86; Interview with Veneita Meiners Throenle by Marge Niesen; Photos: The St. Bernard-Ludlow Grove Historical Society files; St. Bernard Pub photo by KHP